Visit us … The Herb Garden … The Cider Mill Barn … Return to the Main Menu … Return to Properties
for more information on the Dickerman House see the Spring 2008 edition of the newsletter.
This small house, with its sweeping roof-line and deep front overhang, was the home of a moderately prosperous farming family in the late 18th-century. It reflects the conservative tastes and plain living of Hamden farmers in that era. The simply designed rooms, with few adornments other than the paneled fireplace walls, are today much as they were when the Dickermans lived here. In its two centuries of existence, the house has never had plumbing or central heating.
In 1792 Jonathan Dickerman II (1747-1821) moved his family eastward from their original farm on the rocky hills of western Hamden to this new home near the river. His father and uncle had settled in Mount Carmel some fifty years earlier and their descendants for more than a century were major landowners with leading roles in town affairs.
In the middle years of the 19th century, after Jonathan’s death, his widow and subsequent owners took in boarders, some of whom worked in nearby mills. In 1875 ownership passed to an Irish immigrant family and the house became know as the “Grogan Place.”
The state assumed title in 1924 when J. Edward Heaton, who had owned the old farm since 1907, donated it to the new Sleeping Giant Park. Heaton had previously rented out the house as a summer place. After it was given to the Historical Society in 1961, the house was moved across the road from its original site on park land to its present location on Jonathan Dickerman’s barn lot.